Case: When did you play outside last time?
Maybe you spend much time outside everyday, but probably you are spending more hours in front of your screen nowadays. It has been shown that the average American child spends 4 to 7 minutes a day in unstructured play outdoors, and over 7 hours a day in front of a screen. In other ‘rich countries’ it is more or less the same.
“A 50-minute walk in nature can improve memory and focus by about 20% “
It is not easy to measure stress or happiness, but it is quite simple to measure memory.
- Test this statement on a group of class mates or maybe younger children.
2. Work in groups of 3 to 4 students.
3. Design a memory test, in which you can measure and compare memories (for instance memorising words or numbers).
4. Repeat the test after a walk in the nature, on the same group after a walk in the city, and maybe after other activities.
5. Write a report, and compare with the results of other groups in your class (if they do the same assignment).
6. Present the results and maybe take action to get more nature around your school! Better for everybody!
It is helpful to work with the workingplan
If you use internet it is good to use internetlog